Recipe updates coming soon!
- Red kidney beans (small dry variety)
- Andouille sausage
- Green bell pepper
- Cajun Seasoning
- Bay leaves
- Smoked ham hocks
- Jasmine rice
- Olive oil
- Louisiana hot sauce
- Green onions
See recipe card for quantities.
- Sausage - I recommend Kiolbassa fully cooked cajun andouille sausage
- Ham Hocks - These really add so much flavor! Try not to substitute ham hocks in this dish.
- Spice - Add a little more cajun seasoning or a pinch of cayenne pepper to give this dish some heat.
More Recipes You'll Love
Cajun Style Red Beans and RiceSave Recipe Saved Recipe!
- Instant Pot
- Dutch oven
- Fry pan
- Stick blender
Cajun Style Red Beans
- 16 oz Small red kidney beans (dry)
- 13 oz Kiolbassa cajun style andouille sausage
- 1 qty Onion
- 1 qty Green bell pepper
- 2 stalks Celery
- 3 cloves Garlic
- 2 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 2 qty Bay leaves
- 2 qty Smoked ham hocks
- ¼ cup Olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon Salt (or to taste)
- ½ teaspoon Pepper (or to taste)
- 1 cup Jasmine Rice
- 1 cup Water
Garnish and Optional
- 1-2 qty Green onions
- Louisiana Hot Sauce
- Soak kidney beans in water overnight.
- Chop onion, bell pepper, garlic, and celery into small pieces. Drain beans in colander.
- Pour beans into a large pot or dutch oven. Add enough water to generously cover them (about 3 inches above beans - approximately 4 cups total).
- In a frying pan on medium heat, drizzle enough olive oil to coat the pan (approximately ¼ cup). Add onions and cook until clear. Add garlic and cook for another minute, then add bell pepper and celery along with dry spices. Stir until flavors release and then add the mixture to the pot of beans.
- Heat until almost boiling, stir, and then turn burner to low. Add bay leaves and cover.
- Check on beans every 30min to 1hr to stir in flavors and make sure there is still enough water to be absorbed. Add more water if needed. Cook for 2-3 hours.
- When beans begin to get creamy and are close to being finished, cook the jasmine rice in a pressure cooker. Add pre-cooked and sliced andouille sausage to the beans. You can smash some of the beans on the side of the pot to increase the creamy consistency or use a stick blender to blend a very small portion, then stir.
- Prepare beans by scooping them into a bowl with the sausage. Add rice to the top and garnish with green onions. Serve warm with Louisiana Hot Sauce drizzled on top (if desired). Enjoy!
- Place one cup of jasmine rice and one cup of water into InstantPot.
- Close valve and cook on high pressure for 3 minutes, then natural release for 10 minutes.
- Release remaining steam and serve immediately.