If you've landed here, I'm assuming you love a good Italian Salad with all the fixings! I really enjoy this salad because there are so many delicious ingredients. Carrots, radish, mushrooms, and olives, to name a few. If you're in the mood to chop up some veggies, go ahead and make extra. This salad makes a great Meal Prep.
- Lettuce - Romaine is my lettuce of choice for this recipe.
- Pepperoncini peppers
Note: Refer to the recipe card below for exact quantities.
Step One: Prepare the Dressing
There are several ways to prepare homemade salad dressings:
1). Use a bowl to whisk or stir the ingredients together.
2). Put all of your ingredients in a mason jar with a lid, then give it a little shake.
3). Use a stick blender to blend the salad dressing ingredients together. This is helpful if the dressing includes a garlic clove or anchovies.
4). Use an oil and vinegar dispenser with your favorite extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar to drizzle on salads as needed.
Homemade salad dressings are easy to make if you keep some essential ingredients on hand. See our Top 10 Favorite Salad Dressing Recipes for the dressings we love the most.
Step Two: Prepare Homemade Croutons (optional)
Preparing homemade croutons is as easy as cutting up a loaf of french bread, mixing in some melted butter, topping it all with your favorite herbs and spices, then baking for 10-15 minutes in the oven. They really add such amazing flavor!
Step Three: Prepare Ingredients
Cut or tear up lettuce into small portions. Wash all lettuce and produce thoroughly, then set it aside to drain in a colander. While lettuce is draining, dice all remaining ingredients into small salad-sized portions.
Step Four: Assemble and Serve
Assemble the salad in layers with lettuce on the bottom, followed by fresh diced vegetables, and any additional cheeses, croutons, nuts, and/or seeds.
Add a small amount of dressing and give it a good toss. Taste and adjust seasonings as necessary. Serve immediately.
This post shows some of our kitchen essentials. Please visit our shop if you would like to see more of our favorites. These are Amazon affiliate links and we earn commission from qualifying purchases.
Store salad in an airtight container in the refrigerator without dressing for 2-3 days. If the salad is moist from being washed, place a paper towel on top of it to draw out the moisture.
Buy pre-washed and ready-to-eat lettuce to save time.
Have leftover ingredients?
- Use up your homemade Italian Vinaigrette in this Loaded Garden Fresh Italian Veggie Salad with Spring Mix.
In the mood for a similar dish?
Try these other salad recipes ideas:
More Italian recipes you will love:
It may be an old wives tale that you shouldn't cut lettuce. Supposedly, the lettuce will brown a little quicker around the edges, but many people disagree that this is true.
If you prefer a milder taste, then yes. Soaking red onions in ice water for 20-30 minutes will mellow out their flavor.
Italian Salad Meal Prep
- Pepperoncini peppers
- Salt (or to taste)
- Pepper (or to taste)
- In a small bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients. Set aside.
- Wash lettuce and set it aside to drain in a colander.
- Wash remaining produce and cut into small salad sized portions.
- Assemble salad with all ingredients into four meal prep containers. Refrigerate.
- Immediately before serving, drizzle prepared dressing on top and toss.
- Wash hands and create a clean work area.
- Rinse fresh produce thoroughly.
- Do not use the same cutting board or utensils on cooked food or produce, that previously touched raw meat or seafood.
- Do not leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods.