Opa! We love Mediterranean flavors in our family and this Tossed Greek Salad with Feta Cheese does not disappoint! Loaded with veggies and a perfectly tangy, lemon flavored Greek Dressing, this salad will leave you wanting more. Craving this salad and want to fill up quicker? Add some grilled chicken and/or Greek potato salad, then call it a meal!
- Lettuce - Iceberg lettuce was used in this recipe.
- Tomato - A Roma tomato was used in this salad.
- Cucumber - We prefer English cucumber for all of our salads.
- Garbanzo beans - About ⅓ cup canned beans, drained.
- Pepperoncini peppers - These add so much flavor! You can even dice them for small salad-sized portions.
- Green bell pepper - Adds texture and crunch. They're also low in calories and loaded with good nutrition.
- Red onion - Just one thin slice will do. Add more if you're an onion lover.
- Olives - Kalamata olives work best for this salad.
- Feta cheese - Tangy feta cheese is so delicious. We buy it stored in brine at our local farmer's market.
- Oregano - Greek herb of choice - the dried variety.
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Red wine vinegar
Note: Refer to the recipe card below for exact quantities.
Step One: Prepare the Dressing
There are several ways to prepare homemade salad dressings:
1). Use a bowl to whisk or stir the ingredients together.
2). Put all of your ingredients in a mason jar with a lid, then give it a little shake.
3). Use a stick blender to blend the salad dressing ingredients together. This is helpful if the dressing includes a garlic clove or anchovies.
4). Use an oil and vinegar dispenser with your favorite extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar to drizzle on salads as needed.
Homemade salad dressings are easy to make if you keep some essential ingredients on hand. See our Top 10 Favorite Salad Dressing Recipes for the dressings we love the most.
Step Two: Prepare Homemade Croutons (optional)
Preparing homemade croutons is as easy as cutting up a loaf of french bread, mixing in some melted butter, topping it all with your favorite herbs and spices, then baking for 10-15 minutes in the oven. They really add such amazing flavor!
Step Three: Prepare Ingredients
Cut or tear up lettuce into small portions. Wash all lettuce and produce thoroughly, then set it aside to drain in a colander. While lettuce is draining, dice all remaining ingredients into small salad-sized portions.
Step Four: Assemble and Serve
Assemble the salad in layers with lettuce on the bottom, followed by fresh diced vegetables, feta cheese, garbanzo beans, and pepperoncini peppers.
Add a small amount of dressing and give it a good toss. Taste and adjust seasonings as necessary. Serve immediately.
This post shows some of our kitchen essentials. Please visit our shop if you would like to see more of our favorites. These are Amazon affiliate links and we earn commission from qualifying purchases.
Store salad in an airtight container in the refrigerator without dressing for 2-3 days. If the salad is moist from being washed, place a paper towel on top of it to draw out the moisture.
Buy pre-washed and ready-to-eat lettuce to save time.
Have leftover ingredients?
- Pepperoncini peppers can be used in this Mediterranean Salad.
In the mood for a similar dish?
Try these other salad recipes ideas:
More Greek recipes you will love:
It may be an old wives tale that you shouldn't cut lettuce. Supposedly, the lettuce will brown a little quicker around the edges, but many people disagree that this is true.
Refrigerating tomatoes will extend their shelf life, but could also decrease their flavor or change their texture. If you don't want your tomatoes to go bad, wait until they are fully ripe, refrigerate for a few days, then bring them back to room temperature before slicing.
If you prefer a milder taste, then yes. Soaking red onions in ice water for 20-30 minutes will mellow out their flavor.
Tossed Greek Salad
- ½ head Iceberg lettuce
- 1 small Roma tomato
- ⅓ qty English cucumber
- ⅓ cup Garbanzo beans drained
- 5 qty Pepperoncini peppers
- ½ small Green bell pepper
- 1 thin slice Red onion
- ⅓ cup Feta cheese
- 6 qty Kalamata olives
- ½ teaspoon Oregano
- ¼ teaspoon Salt (or to taste)
- ¼ teaspoon Pepper (or to taste)
- 3 tablespoon Greek vinaigrette
- In a small bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients. Set aside.
- Wash lettuce and set it aside to drain in a colander.
- Wash remaining produce and cut into small salad sized portions.
- Assemble salad with all ingredients.
- Drizzle prepared dressing on top.
- Gently toss the salad and serve immediately.
- Wash hands and create a clean work area.
- Rinse fresh produce thoroughly.
- Do not use the same cutting board or utensils on cooked food or produce, that previously touched raw meat or seafood.
- Do not leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods.