Mmmm... This mouth-watering Authentic Cuban Ropa Vieja with Yellow Rice and Black Beans is my kind of comfort food! Tender flank steak cooks on low for several hours with flavorful spices. It is then shredded and served over yellow rice and black beans. Serve it up with some Cuban bread and Columbia Restaurant's 1905 Salad. Yum!
- Flank steak
- Beef broth
- San Marzano tomatoes
- Red wine
- Green pepper
- Red pepper
- Bay leaves
- Olive oil
- Salt Pepper
- Yellow rice
- Black beans
Note: Refer to the recipe card below for exact quantities.
This post shows some of our kitchen essentials. Please visit our shop if you would like to see more of our favorites. These are Amazon affiliate links and we earn commission from qualifying purchases.
- Dutch Oven
- Cutting Board
Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container for 2-3 days.
This dish is freezer friendly.
Have leftover ingredients?
- Olives make great salad toppers. We like them in this Loaded Veggie Salad.
In the mood for a similar dish?
Try these other Cuban Cuisine and Spanish dishes:
More dinner recipes you will love:
Authentic (Dutch Oven) Cuban Ropa Vieja with Yellow Rice and Black Beans
- 3 lbs Flank steak
- 1 can Beef Consomme
- 1 large can San Marzano tomatoes
- ½ cup Red wine
- 1 med Green bell pepper
- 1 med Red bell pepper
- 2 med Onion
- 6 cloves Garlic
- 2-3 qty Bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Paprika
- 1 tablespoon Oregano
- ¼ cup Olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Coarse Salt (or to taste)
- ½ teaspoon Pepper (or to taste)
- 12 qty Spanish Olives
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- Season flank steak generously with salt and pepper, slice bell peppers into strips, and cut two onions into ⅛ sections.
- In a large dutch oven on medium heat, sear the flank steak for 2-3 minutes on each side in olive oil.
- Temporarily remove the steak and add red wine to deglaze the pan.
- Remove dutch oven from the burner and add the flank steak back in, along with all remaining ingredients. Gently squeeze tomatoes against the pot with a wooden spoon to release the juices.
- Place the pot into the oven and cook for about 2.5 hours, or until the flank steak reaches a safe internal temperature. The meat should shred apart easily.
- When finished, remove steak and place it in a container to shred apart using two forks.
- Remove the bay leaves and use a stick blender to blend and thicken the sauce.
- Add flank steak back into the sauce and give it a good stir.
- Serve flank steak over rice and beans. Add onion and cilantro for garnish (if desired).
Cook beef, pork, veal & lamb steaks, chops, roasts to a minimum internal temperature of 145 °F (62.8 °C)
- Create a clean work area.
- Wash hands after touching raw meat or seafood.
- Rinse fresh produce thoroughly.
- Do not use the same cutting board or utensils on cooked food or produce, that previously touched raw meat or seafood.
- Do not leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods.
- Never leave cooking food unattended.
- Use oils with a high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds.
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove.
Leave a Reply