This is a dish inspired by Chef Chris at a lovely little bistro in Tarpon Springs. If you’re not in the mood to cook, please go visit…. their soup is a best seller and it is divine! Be sure to check out their other menu options, too.
- Chicken broth
- Peeled plum tomatoes
- Tomato paste
- Fresh spinach
- Sweet potatoes
- Coconut milk
- Garbanzo beans
- Natural peanut butter
- Sesame oil
- Crushed red pepper flakes
- Crushed pistachio
See recipe card for quantities.
- Soup pot
- Cutting board
More Recipes You'll Love
Have leftover ingredients?
In the mood for a similar dish?
More lunch recipes you will love:
Amanda's Favorite African StewSave Recipe Saved Recipe!
- 1 ½ chicken breasts (cooked)
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 lg can peeled plum tomatoes (drained)
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 1 onion
- 1 bunch fresh spinach
- 2 small sweet potatoes (cooked)
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 can garbanzo beans Drained
- 4-5 cloves garlic
- ⅔ cup natural peanut butter
- 2 qty limes
- 4 tablespoon sesame oil
- 3-4 teaspoon curry
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon cayenne
- Salt (or to taste)
- Pepper (or to taste)
- crushed pistachio
- Assemble all ingredients.
- Cook chicken and sweet potatoes separately. Sweet potatoes should remain somewhat firm because they will cook a little longer in the soup. While these are cooking, prepare everything else.
- Chop onion and mince garlic. Open all of your canned items and drain plum tomatoes and garbanzo beans. Measure out your spices.
- In a large pot, sauté onions in sesame oil for 3-4 minutes.
- Add cooked (diced) chicken, garlic, and dried spices. Sauté for 1-2 min. Be careful not to overcook the chicken. This step will help toast spices for added flavor.
- Add chicken broth, coconut milk, tomato paste, hand-crushed tomatoes, and peanut butter. Stir until well combined.
- Heat until hot but not boiling (or coconut milk will curdle). Add spinach, cooked sweet potatoes, and garbanzo beans. Stir until spinach wilts and then remove the pot from the burner. Squeeze in fresh lime right before serving.
- Garnish with cilantro, crushed pistachios, or more lime (if desired). Enjoy!
Cook chicken to a minimum internal temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Create a clean work area.
- Wash hands after touching raw meat or seafood.
- Rinse fresh produce thoroughly.
- Do not use the same cutting board or utensils on cooked food or produce, that previously touched raw meat or seafood.
- Do not leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods.
- Never leave cooking food unattended.
- Use oils with a high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds.
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove.