Ripe avocados, gorgeous red tomatoes, and the freshest ingredients in town. This tasty side salad is perfect in its simplicity and would pair well with any of your summer grilling favorites. Watching your waistline? It also makes a healthy, light lunch!
- Red onion
- Extra virgin olive oil
See recipe card for quantities.
- Citrus - Fresh lime may be substituted for lemon.
Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container for 2-3 days. This dish is not freezer friendly.
More Recipes You'll Love
The fresh lemon will help prevent the avocados from turning brown. For best results, avocados should be cut fresh right before serving.
Have leftover ingredients?
- Don't throw out your avocados! Use them quickly before they become too ripe. Try out our guacamole dip recipe, use them on your breakfast toast tomorrow morning, or serve them as a topping on your favorite tacos.
- A good ripe tomato can be eaten by itself, or on anything... seriously. My grandmother used to slather some mayonnaise on bread and top it with tomato, salt, and pepper. Delicious! Want to take it to another level? Try this BLT sandwich.
- Most people either love or hate red onion. I always like to use my leftover onions in my favorite salads, French onion soup, or a side of roasted vegetables.
In the mood for a similar dish?
More lunch recipes you will love:
Mainly size. Beefsteaks are one of the largest varieties of tomatoes and can weigh as much as 1-2lbs! Because of their shape, they are great in a salad or used as a sandwich topping.
Avocados are full of antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals. They are considered a healthy fat, they're good for your heart and gut, and they will help you stay full longer.
Tomato and Avocado Side Salad
- Salad bowl
- Salad tongs
- Oil and vinegar dispensers
- Cutting board
- Citrus squeezer
- 3 mini Avocados
- 1 qty Beefsteak tomato
- ¼ small Red onion
- 1 tablespoon Fresh cilantro
- ½ teaspoon Oregano
- ¼ teaspoon Salt (or to taste)
- ¼ teaspoon Pepper (or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon Extra virgin olive oil
- ½ qty Lemon
- Wash all produce and set it aside to drain in a colander.
- Cut ripe avocados in half. Remove the inner seed and out layer of skin. Continue cutting into large chunks.
- Cut tomatoes into equally sized sections and slice the red onion.
- Prepare salad with all ingredients. Drizzle the dressing ingredients over the top.
- Toss and serve. Add more pepper (if desired).
- Wash hands and create a clean work area.
- Rinse fresh produce thoroughly.
- Do not use the same cutting board or utensils on cooked food or produce, that previously touched raw meat or seafood.
- Do not leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods.