This Chipotle Seasoning Recipe is the BEST blend of spices to use in Mexican-inspired dishes. It tastes great on chicken, shrimp, nachos, and tacos. It can even be used in your favorite Mexican soup. Our favorite way to serve this seasoning is in a Chipotle Chicken Fresh Mexican Bowl or on Chipotle Chicken Nachos. Yum!
Chipotle seasoning is a staple ingredient in our household and is used frequently. The smoky and peppery taste makes it ideal for so many uses.
Why we love this recipe:
- It's easy - Grab a few measuring spoons and get to mixing!
- It's tasty - It has the BEST flavor and is one of our favorite spices to put on chicken.
Looking for more amazing Mexican recipes? Try these Air Fryer Tostadas Mexicanas, this Fresh Restaurant Style Guacamole, or this trendy Cowboy Caviar dip.
- Chipotle powder - Chipotles come in powder, flakes, and even in canned form with Adobo sauce. They are great for marinades and add a mild, earthy flavor to Mexican-inspired dishes.
- Smoked paprika - Just like regular paprika, except the peppers are dried by smoking. The smokiness adds a unique flavor to this seasoning.
- Paprika - Made from ground, dried red peppers. This spice is flavorful and can also be used as a garnish for its bright red color.
- Garlic powder - Made from dehydrated garlic and is a quick way to add some garlic flavor.
- Oregano - An herb from the mint family. Also one of our favorite Mediterranean spices.
- Onion powder - A little onion spice goes well in almost everything!
- Ancho chili pepper - This is a different type of dried chili pepper and helps layer the flavors of this spice blend.
- Salt - Kosher salt should be added to this blend.
Note: Refer to the recipe card below for exact quantities.
How to Make Chipotle Seasoning
STEP ONE: Measure Ingredients
Measure out all ingredients into a bowl.
STEP TWO: Mix Together
Blend the spices together by mixing them well or putting them into a large container with enough room to shake.
STEP THREE: Store
Store in a sealed air-tight container until ready to use.
STEP FOUR: Serve
If serving over chicken, preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Next pound the chicken flat, then add 1-2 tsp. of seasoning. In a cast-iron skillet on medium-high heat, sear the chicken for 2-3 minutes on each side. Place the chicken into the oven and continue to cook for approximately 8-10 minutes, or until the chicken reaches a minimum internal temperature of 165 degrees F. Finally, remove and let rest for 5 minutes before slicing.
- Paprika - Smoked paprika can be substituted for regular paprika.
This post shows some of our kitchen essentials. Please visit our shop if you would like to see more of our favorites. These are Amazon affiliate links and we earn commission from qualifying purchases.
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Storage container
Store in the pantry until ready to use. Refer to the shelf life of each ingredient.
Note: Refer to Top Tips below for more storage and reheating tips.
Make all of your favorite seasoning blends in one day. Store them in labeled containers to use throughout the year.
Have leftover ingredients?
- Paprika is versatile and pairs well with many types of meat and in rice blends, soups, and stews. We used this ingredient in this delicious Authentic Cuban Ropa Vieja.
Need something to pair this with?
- Use this chipotle seasoning on chicken and place it on top of your favorite salad as we did with this Nashville Hot Chicken Salad.
- Use this chipotle seasoning on shrimp and make a salad that is similar to this Blackened Shrimp and Avocado Salad.
- Check out our Chipotle Chicken Nachos below! Yum!
More lunch recipes you will love:
These bright red spices are both made with dried, ground peppers and vary in intensity. They are used for flavor and as a garnish in meats, soups, and stews.
Smoked paprika gets its smoky flavor from peppers that are smoked when dried. It is also called pimenton or smoked Spanish paprika.
It has a mild spicy flavor compared to other common blends. It will add a nice kick without overpowering. It will add a nice smoky, spicy balance without overpowering.
BEST Chipotle Seasoning Recipe (for Chicken)
- ½ cup Chipotle powder
- ½ cup Cumin
- ¼ cup Smoked paprika
- ¼ cup Paprika
- 3 tablespoon Garlic powder
- 3 tablespoon Oregano
- 3 tablespoon Kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon Onion powder
- 1 tablespoon Ancho chili pepper
- Measure out all ingredients into a bowl.
- Mix the spices together and store in an air tight sealed container.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Place chicken breast between two pieces of plastic wrap. Pound the chicken flat, then add 1-2 tsp. of chipotle seasoning.
- In a cast-iron skillet on medium-high heat, sear the chicken for 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Place the chicken into the oven and continue to cook for approximately 8-10 minutes, or until the chicken reaches a minimum internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
- Remove and let rest for 5 minutes before slicing.
- Create a clean work area.
- Wash hands after touching raw meat or seafood.
- Rinse fresh produce thoroughly.
- Do not use the same cutting board or utensils on cooked food or produce, that previously touched raw meat or seafood.
- Do not leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods.
- Never leave cooking food unattended.
- Use oils with a high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds.
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove.
Leave a Reply