I hope you're hungry! One look at this picture and you'll be headed to your kitchen to make an epic salad! This Crispy Buffalo Chicken Salad Recipe with Homemade Buttermilk Ranch Dressing is one you won't forget. Spicy Buffalo Chicken combines with creamy blue cheese and our favorite Homemade Buttermilk Dressing. If you can't make it now, be sure to save it for later.
- Chicken - One chicken breast is all you will need for this salad
- Oil for frying
- Buffalo sauce
- Lettuce - I really love Romaine lettuce in this recipe.
- Tomato - Grape tomatoes were used.
- Cheddar cheese
- Red pepper
- Red onion
- Blue cheese
- Buttermilk ranch dressing
Note: Refer to the recipe card below for exact quantities.
Step One: Prepare the Dressing
There are several ways to prepare homemade salad dressings:
1). Use a bowl to whisk or stir the ingredients together.
2). Put all of your ingredients in a mason jar with a lid, then give it a little shake.
3). Use a stick blender to blend the salad dressing ingredients together. This is helpful if the dressing includes a garlic clove or anchovies.
4). Use an oil and vinegar dispenser with your favorite extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar to drizzle on salads as needed.
Homemade salad dressings are very easy to make if you keep some basic ingredients on hand. See our Top 10 Favorite Salad Dressing Recipes for the dressings we love the most.
Step Two: Prepare the Protein
To prepare the chicken, first, cut it into large chunks. Whisk an egg into a small bowl. Drench the chicken in seasoned flour, then egg, then back into the seasoned flour.
Preheat oil in a deep fryer to 350 degrees F. Fry chicken at this temperature until it is golden brown and reaches a safe internal temperature of 165 degrees F (about 5 minutes).
When the chicken is finished cooking, set it on a wire rack to drain, then season it with salt. Dip it into your favorite buffalo sauce.
Step Three: Prepare Ingredients
Cut or tear up lettuce into small portions. Wash all lettuce and produce thoroughly, then set it aside to drain in a colander. While lettuce is draining, dice all remaining ingredients into small salad-sized portions.
Step Four: Assemble and Serve
Assemble the salad in layers with lettuce on the bottom, followed by fresh diced vegetables, and any additional cheeses, croutons, nuts, and/or seeds.
Add a small amount of dressing and give it a good toss. Taste and adjust seasonings as necessary. Serve immediately.
- Protein - No time to fry chicken? You can substitute the homemade for frozen buffalo chicken bites that can be found at your local grocer.
Store salad in an airtight container in the refrigerator without dressing for 2-3 days. If the salad is moist from being washed, place a paper towel on top of it to draw out the moisture.
Buy pre-washed and ready-to-eat lettuce to save time.
Have leftover ingredients?
- Leftover blue cheese can be used on this Bacon and Blue Cheese Salad
In the mood for a similar dish?
Try these other salad recipes ideas:
- Fresh Spring Mix Salad with Chicken and Apple Chips
- Nashville Hot Chicken Salad with Homemade Buttermilk Ranch Dressing
More dinner recipes you will love:
It may be an old wives tale that you shouldn't cut lettuce. Supposedly, the lettuce will brown a little quicker around the edges, but many people disagree that this is true.
Crispy Buffalo Chicken Salad Recipe with Homemade Buttermilk Ranch Dressing
- 3 tablespoon Buttermilk ranch dressing (or to taste)
- 1 8oz. Chicken breast
- 1 cup Flour
- 1 egg Egg
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Pepper
- ½ head Romaine lettuce
- 5 qty Grape tomatoes
- 1 stalk Celery
- ⅓ qty Cucumber
- 1 med Carrots
- 3 tablespoon Cheddar cheese
- ¼ med Red bell pepper sliced
- 1 slice Red onion
- 3 tablespoon Blue cheese crumbled
- ¼ teaspoon Salt (or to taste)
- ¼ teaspoon Pepper (or to taste)
- Cut chicken breast into large chunks.
- Whisk an egg into a small bowl. Drench the chicken in seasoned flour, then egg, then back into the seasoned flour.
- Preheat oil in a deep fryer to 350 degrees F. Fry chicken at this temperature until it is golden brown and reaches a safe internal temperature of 165 degrees F (about 5 minutes).
- When the chicken is finished cooking, set it on a wire rack to drain, then season it with salt. Dip it into your favorite buffalo sauce.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients. Set aside.
- Wash lettuce and set it aside to drain in a colander.
- Wash remaining produce and cut into small salad sized portions.
- Assemble salad with all ingredients.
- Drizzle prepared dressing on top.
- Gently toss the salad and serve immediately.
Cook chicken to a minimum internal temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Create a clean work area.
- Wash hands after touching raw meat or seafood.
- Rinse fresh produce thoroughly.
- Do not use the same cutting board or utensils on cooked food or produce, that previously touched raw meat or seafood.
- Do not leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods.
- Never leave cooking food unattended.
- Use oils with a high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds.
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove.
Leave a Reply