Recipe updates coming soon!
- Live blue crabs
- Jumbo lump crab meat
- Jumbo shrimp with heads n
- Peeled plum tomatoes
- Chicken Broth
- Vegetable Oil
- Bay Leaves
- Cajun seasoning
- Salt (or to taste)
- Pepper (or to taste)
Seafood GumboSave Recipe Saved Recipe!
- 12 qty live blue crabs
- 16 ounces jumbo lump crab meat
- 2 lbs fresh jumbo shrimp with heads on
- 2 lg cans peeled plum tomatoes
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 qty onion
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup Bisquick
- 2 8 oz. bags frozen cut okra
- 2 qty bay leaves
- 1-2 tablespoon cajun seasoning (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon cayenne (or to taste)
- 1 cup Water (if needed)
- 1 teaspoon Salt (or to taste)
- 1 tsp Pepper (or to taste)
- Dice onion and peel shrimp.
- Heat 1T of olive oil in a pan and add all shrimp shells (heads included) plus two bay leaves. Sauté for 3-4min, then add chicken broth. Turn burner to low and let simmer while you prepare the crabs.
- While seafood broth is simmering, boil live crabs for 3-5 min, then drain.
- Cool and clean all crabs by removing large claws (save for later), top shell, gills, and flap on the bottom (apron).
- Blend one can of tomatoes and set aside. Stir the broth and press down on the shells to extract the juices, then strain broth from shells and save it for gumbo (remove all shells). The tomato sauce and broth should be ready to pour in quickly when roux is done.
- In a large pot, add bisquick and oil to make the roux. Stir continuously until roux is dark chocolate in appearance. This will take approx 20-30 min. *Do NOT leave roux unattended or it will burn. Add onions in this stage when roux turns dark brown.
- Add the broth, blended tomatoes, okra, and crab to the roux. Hand squeeze remaining can of tomatoes into the pot along with the juice. Season with salt, pepper, and your favorite cajun seasoning. Cook on low for 20-30min. Add water if needed.
- Add seasoned shrimp and jumbo lump crab meat during the last 5-10 minutes, until cooked through.
- Serve warm with rice (if desired). Add fresh parsley for garnish. Enjoy!