Don't you just love a good chicken salad? This Mandarin Orange Spinach Salad with Oven Baked Chicken and Goat Cheese is beautiful in its simplicity and bold in flavor. The leafy spinach greens are a healthy choice and make a stunning presentation. This salad is a family favorite recipe.
- Mandarin oranges
- Goat cheese
- Red onion
- Classic Vinaigrette
Note: Refer to the recipe card below for exact quantities.
Step One: Prepare the Dressing
There are several ways to prepare homemade salad dressings:
1). Use a bowl to whisk or stir the ingredients together.
2). Put all of your ingredients in a mason jar with a lid, then give it a little shake.
3). Use a stick blender to blend the salad dressing ingredients together. This is helpful if the dressing includes a garlic clove or anchovies.
4). Use an oil and vinegar dispenser with your favorite extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar to drizzle on salads as needed.
Homemade salad dressings are easy to make if you keep some essential ingredients on hand. See our Top 10 Favorite Salad Dressing Recipes for the dressings we love the most.
Step Two: Prepare the Protein
To prepare the chicken, first, preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Next pound the chicken flat, then add seasoning. In a cast-iron skillet on medium-high heat, sear the chicken for 2-3 minutes on each side. Place the chicken into the oven and continue to cook for approximately 10 minutes, or until the chicken reaches a minimum internal temperature of 165 degrees F. Finally, remove and let rest for 5 minutes before slicing.
Step Three: Prepare Ingredients
Cut or tear up lettuce into small portions. Wash all lettuce and produce thoroughly, then set it aside to drain in a colander. While lettuce is draining, dice all remaining ingredients into small salad-sized portions.
Step Four: Assemble and Serve
Assemble the salad in layers with spinach on the bottom, followed by chicken, mandarin oranges, goat cheese, walnuts, and red onion.
Add a small amount of dressing and give it a good toss. Taste and adjust seasonings as necessary. Serve immediately.
This post shows some of our kitchen essentials. Please visit our shop if you would like to see more of our favorites. These are Amazon affiliate links and we earn commission from qualifying purchases.
- Salad bowl
- Salad tongs
- Oil and vinegar dispensers
- Frying pan or cast iron skillet
- Meat thermometer
- Cutting board
Store salad in an airtight container in the refrigerator without dressing for 2-3 days. If the salad is moist from being washed, place a paper towel on top of it to draw out the moisture.
Buy pre-washed and ready-to-eat lettuce to save time.
Have leftover ingredients?
- Leftover spinach can be used up in this Grilled Peach Salad
- Use up extra mandarin oranges in this Roasted Beet and Mandarin Orange Salad with Citrus Vinaigrette
In the mood for a similar dish?
Try these other salad recipes ideas:
More chicken recipes you will love:
If you prefer a milder taste, then yes. Soaking red onions in ice water for 20-30 minutes will mellow out their flavor.
Mandarin Orange Spinach Salad with Grilled Chicken and Goat Cheese
- 3 tablespoon Classic Vinaigrette (or to taste)
- 8 oz. Chicken breast
- 1 teaspoon Seasoning
- 3 oz. Spinach
- 15 qty Mandarin oranges
- 3 tablespoon Goat cheese
- 1 slice Red onion
- 2 tablespoon Walnuts (chopped)
- ¼ teaspoon Salt (or to taste)
- ¼ teaspoon Pepper (or to taste)
- In a small bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Place chicken breast between two pieces of plastic wrap. Pound the chicken flat, then add seasoning.
- In a cast-iron skillet on medium-high heat, sear the chicken for 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Place the chicken into the oven and continue to cook for approximately 10 minutes, or until the chicken reaches a minimum internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
- Remove and let rest for 5 minutes before slicing.
- Wash lettuce and set it aside to drain in a colander.
- Wash remaining produce and cut into small salad sized portions.
- Assemble salad with all ingredients.
- Drizzle prepared dressing on top.
- Gently toss the salad and serve immediately.
Cook chicken to a minimum internal temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Create a clean work area.
- Wash hands after touching raw meat or seafood.
- Rinse fresh produce thoroughly.
- Do not use the same cutting board or utensils on cooked food or produce, that previously touched raw meat or seafood.
- Do not leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods.
- Never leave cooking food unattended.
- Use oils with a high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds.
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove.
Leave a Reply