Tart and tangy apples, plus and a few simple ingredients, are all that's needed for this classic Waldorf salad (just like grandma used to make!) This salad is great in the summertime and pairs well with a classic sandwich. It also makes a great potluck dish, so give it a try at your next backyard barbecue!
- Apples - Crisp, tart apples are best here. My favorite are Grannysmith and Honeycrisp.
- Pineapple - I prefer canned pineapple over fresh (which is very unlike me!)
- Walnuts - Throw some whole walnuts in a Ziplock and pound them with a mallet. That's what I do. (And yes, it's stress relief).
- Raisins - I like the golden raisins because they give it a pretty color.
- Mayonnaise - I'm a Hellman's girl. What can I say.
- Lemon - Only a tiny squeeze of fresh lemon to prevent the apples from browning.
Note: Refer to the recipe card below for exact quantities.
- Dried fruit - Regular raisins or Craisins would be a good substitute.
- Nuts - Pecans would work here, too.
- There are many variations of this salad since it first originated. Try adding grapes or whipped cream. Have a sweet tooth? Just a pinch sugar then (if you keep it hush).
- Turn this recipe into a fun poolside snack for the kiddos. See what we did there?
This post shows some of our kitchen essentials. Please visit our shop if you would like to see more of our favorites. These are Amazon affiliate links and we earn commission from qualifying purchases.
Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 2 days.
This dish is not freezer friendly.
Have leftover ingredients?
- Extra golden raisins are also used in my favorite broccoli salad and broccoli slaw recipes.
- Buy too many apples? Pan fry them and serve them on top of these steel-cut oats for breakfast.
- Celery is an ingredient you'll find in most of our soup recipes.
- Leftover walnuts? Toss them in a salad or freeze them and save them for later.
In the mood for a similar dish?
Try these other fruit salad ideas:
More Southern recipes you will love:
Do walnuts go bad?
Where did Waldorf salad originate?
How long have people been enjoying this classic fruit salad?
- 3 med Grannysmith apples
- 1 med Honeycrisp apple
- 5 rings Dole pineapple
- 2 qty Celery stalks
- ½ cup Chopped walnuts
- ¼ cup Golden raisins
- ½ cup Mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Lemon
- Wash all produce.
- Slice apples into medium sized chunks.
- Dice celery and pineapple into small pieces.
- Mix all ingredients together and add mayonnaise with a teaspoon of lemon juice. Stir well.
- Chill and serve cold.
- Wash hands and create a clean work area.
- Rinse fresh produce thoroughly.
- Do not use the same cutting board or utensils on cooked food or produce, that previously touched raw meat or seafood.
- Do not leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods.