The holidays are here! Have you been asked to bring an appetizer to your office Christmas party? Are you having guests over for some holiday cheer? Make this delicious festive, caprese! It's easy to put together and a real crowd-pleaser. Deck the halls with these gorgeous red tomatoes in candy cane style. Fa la la!
- Tomato - Try to find evenly-sized tomatoes to match the diameter of the pre-packaged sliced cheese.
- Mozzarella Cheese - I love the BelGioioso brand!
- Basil - Fresh basil is the best option for this dish.
- Balsamic glaze - See FAQ below if you have trouble finding balsamic glaze and already have balsamic vinegar on hand.
Note: Refer to the recipe card below for exact quantities.
This post shows some of our kitchen essentials. Please visit our shop if you would like to see more of our favorites. These are Amazon affiliate links and we earn commission from qualifying purchases.
Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container for 2-3 days.
This dish is not freezer friendly.
Have leftover ingredients?
- Leftover mozzarella would go great on any of our delicious homemade pizza recipes!
- Use up your extra tomatoes on this Tomato and Avocado Side Salad.
- Balsamic glaze is the perfect dressing for this Prosciutto Burrata Salad.
In the mood for a similar dish?
More holiday and entertaining recipes you will love:
Yes, and it is easy to make yourself! Heat some balsamic vinegar up on the stove at low to medium heat until it reduces by half.
Refrigerating tomatoes will extend their shelf life, but could also decrease their flavor or change their texture. If you don't want your tomatoes to go bad, wait until they are fully ripe, refrigerate for a few days, then bring them back to room temperature before slicing.
Candy Cane Caprese
- 2 qty Tomato
- 1 package Fresh Sliced Mozzarella
- 2 tablespoon Balsamic glaze
- ¼ teaspoon Salt (or to taste)
- ¼ teaspoon Pepper (or to taste)
- Wash tomato and then cut it into even slices.
- Layer tomato, fresh basil leaves, and sliced mozzarella into the shape of a candy cane.
- Drizzle with balsamic glaze, then sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Wash hands and create a clean work area.
- Rinse fresh produce thoroughly.
- Do not use the same cutting board or utensils on cooked food or produce, that previously touched raw meat or seafood.
- Do not leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods.
This is a great idea for holidays!