This cool, refreshing summer treat is simply mouth-watering! Sweet juicy watermelon combines with ingredients from my favorite Tomato Caprese Salad to make this delicious Simple Watermelon Caprese Appetizer (Bites or Skewers). Whether you set out some toothpicks and serve them as bites, put them on skewers, or create a watermelon pizza for the kids, this appetizer is sure to get people talking!
- Mozzarella cheese
- Balsamic glaze
How to Make Watermelon Caprese Appetizers
STEP ONE: Cut the Watermelon
Wash the watermelon and cut it into ½ to 1-inch chunks.
STEP TWO: Make Bites or Skewers
Bites - Dice watermelon into ½-1 inch chunks. Arrange watermelon on a platter (or in a bowl) with mozzarella cheese.
Skewers - Dice watermelon into ½-1 inch chunks. Stack the watermelon, followed by a leaf of basil, then mozzarella snacking cheese.
STEP THREE: Serve
Drizzle balsamic glaze on top of the appetizer and serve chilled. *Note - Glaze will soak into the watermelon which tastes great, but may not be as appealing. You can serve with balsamic glaze on the side as another option.
- Fruit - Cherry or grape tomatoes would make a great substitute.
- Kids - Take the same ingredients and make a watermelon pizza for the kids!
Note: Refer to the recipe card below for exact quantities.
This post shows some of our kitchen essentials. Please visit our shop if you would like to see more of our favorites. These are Amazon affiliate links and we earn commission from qualifying purchases.
- Cutting board
Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container for 2-3 days.
This dish is not freezer friendly.
Serve balsamic glaze on the side. The glaze will soak into the watermelon if not eaten right away.
Have leftover ingredients?
- Try your leftover watermelon in this Watermelon and Feta Summer Salad.
In the mood for a similar dish?
Try these other salads recipe ideas:
Yes, and it is easy to make yourself! Heat some balsamic vinegar in a saucepan on the stove at low to medium heat until it reduces by half.
Simple Watermelon Caprese Appetizer (Bites or Skewers)
- ½ med. Watermelon
- 12 qty Mozzarella snacking cheese
- 12 qty Basil
- 3 tablespoon Balsamic glaze
- Dice watermelon into ½-1 inch chunks.
- Stack the watermelon, followed by a leaf of basil, then mozzarella snacking cheese.
- Drizzle with balsamic glaze and serve chilled. *See notes
- Arrange watermelon on a platter (or in a bowl) with mozzarella cheese.
- Drizzle with balsamic glaze and add fresh basil. *See notes
- Set out toothpicks and serve chilled.
- Wash hands and create a clean work area.
- Rinse fresh produce thoroughly.
- Do not use the same cutting board or utensils on cooked food or produce, that previously touched raw meat or seafood.
- Do not leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods.