Now THIS is the cheese that can truly level up any side salad! Halloumi is a Mediterranean cheese that is mellow in flavor and great for grilling or pan frying because it doesn't melt. Instead, you get a crisp exterior and a soft, gooey interior that has a slight feta-like tang. Served over arugula with tomatoes, this salad is ultra satisfying and delicious.
- Arugula lettuce
- Halloumi cheese
- Roma tomatoes
- Lemon vinaigrette or Greek vinaigrette
- Tomatoes - Try campari (pictured above) or cherry tomatoes instead of roma.
- Nutrition - Add more vegetables for extra health benefits. Cucumbers, red onion, garbanzo beans, and kalamata olives would make a great addition.
This post shows some of our kitchen essentials. Please visit our shop if you would like to see more of our favorites. These are Amazon affiliate links and we earn commission from qualifying purchases.
- Salad bowl
- Salad tongs
- Oil and vinegar dispensers
- Frying pan or cast iron skillet
- Meat thermometer
- Cutting board
Store salad in an airtight container in the refrigerator without dressing for 2-3 days. If the salad is moist from being washed, place a paper towel on top of it to draw out the moisture.
Buy pre-washed and ready-to-eat lettuce to save time.
Have leftover ingredients?
- Use up leftover arugula by adding it to a grain bowl, placing it on top of pizza, or as a sandwich topping as we did in this Prosciutto Caprese Sandwich.
- For a simple and tasty appetizer, pan-fry leftover Halloumi and drizzle it with honey.
- Serve leftover Halloumi on a Mediterranean platter with pita bread, hummus, kalamata olives, and other vegetables.
In the mood for a similar dish?
Try these other salad recipes ideas:
More Greek recipes you will love:
Is arugula a superfood?
Why is halloumi cheese squeaky?
Should tomatoes be refrigerated?
Halloumi Side Salad
- 5 oz Arugula lettuce
- 3 qty Roma tomatoes
- 8 oz Halloumi cheese
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon Pepper (or to taste)
- 4 tablespoon Lemon vinaigrette or Greek vinaigrette
- Wash lettuce and set it aside to drain in a colander.
- Cut halloumi cheese into cubes. Using a cast iron skillet or fry pan, sear halloumi cheese in a small amount of olive oil on medium heat until crisp 1-2 minutes. Remove from burner.
- Cut tomatoes into sections.
- Prepare salad with all ingredients. Drizzle dressing of choice over the top.
- Toss and serve. Add more pepper (if desired).
- Wash hands and create a clean work area.
- Rinse fresh produce thoroughly.
- Do not use the same cutting board or utensils on cooked food or produce, that previously touched raw meat or seafood.
- Do not leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods.