This Tuscan Garden Fresh Salad with Artichoke and Roasted Red Pepper is loaded with Italian flavors and it is one of our family favorites. This salad is simple to put together and is served best chilled. Pair it with your favorite Italian pasta dish or soup, or add chicken and turn it into a healthy dinner salad that you'll want to make again and again.
- Lettuce - We used the romaine variety for this recipe.
- Roasted red pepper - You can buy these in the jar (whole or strips). You can also roast them yourself. It's a great way to use up fresh leftover red peppers.
- Artichoke - I recommend buying quartered marinated artichokes in a jar.
- Cucumber - English cucumbers are our favorite because they have fewer seeds.
- Red onion - Did you know you could soak red onions in cold water for a milder flavor?
- Tomato - We used a beefsteak tomato, but any variety would work well for this salad.
- Parmesan - We like to grate fresh parmesan, but you could also use the bottles varieties.
- Pine nuts - Toasted pine nuts add so much nutty, buttery flavor and texture!
- Butter - Just a little for toasting the pine nuts.
- Croutons - Try our homemade crouton recipe.
- Italian vinaigrette
Note: Refer to the recipe card below for exact quantities.
- Nuts - Toasted almonds could be substituted for pine nuts.
- Artichoke - Hearts of palm can be used if you're not a fan of artichokes.
- Cheese - Any great Italian cheese could be a substitute for parmesan. Try fresh mozzarella pearls or cut provolone cheese into strips.
- Add-ins - Chicken or Italian meats like salami, etc. would be a great addition to this salad if you want something more filling.
Step One: Prepare the Dressing
There are several ways to prepare homemade salad dressings:
1). Use a bowl to whisk or stir the ingredients together.
2). Put all of your ingredients in a mason jar with a lid, then give it a little shake.
3). Use a stick blender to blend the salad dressing ingredients together. This is helpful if the dressing includes a garlic clove or anchovies.
4). Use an oil and vinegar dispenser with your favorite extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar to drizzle on salads as needed.
Homemade salad dressings are easy to make if you keep some essential ingredients on hand. See our Top 10 Favorite Salad Dressing Recipes for the dressings we love the most.
Step Two: Toast Pine Nuts
On medium heat, toast pine nuts in 1 tablespoon of butter for 2-3 minutes.
Step Three: Prepare Ingredients
Cut or tear up lettuce into small portions. Wash all lettuce and produce thoroughly, then set it aside to drain in a colander. While lettuce is draining, dice all remaining ingredients into small salad-sized portions.
Step Four: Assemble and Serve
Assemble the salad in layers with lettuce on the bottom, followed by artichoke, roasted red pepper, remaining vegetables, toasted pine nuts, and croutons.
Add a small amount of dressing and give it a good toss. Taste and adjust seasonings as necessary. Serve immediately.
This post shows some of our kitchen essentials. Please visit our shop if you would like to see more of our favorites. These are Amazon affiliate links and we earn commission from qualifying purchases.
Store salad in an airtight container in the refrigerator without dressing for 2-3 days. If the salad is moist from being washed, place a paper towel on top of it to draw out the moisture.
Buy pre-washed and ready-to-eat lettuce to save time.
Have leftover ingredients?
- Extra pine nuts can also be used in this Tomato Caprese Salad.
- We've also added pine nuts to this Warm Bacon and Spinach Salad.
Need something to pair this with?
Try our favorite Italian recipes:
- Sunday Gravy with Short Ribs
- Pasta Alla Carbonara with Prosciutto and Peas
- Spaghetti Nero di Seppia with Clams
More salads recipes you will love:
Should you cut lettuce or tear it?
Should tomatoes be refrigerated?
Should you soak red onions?
Why are pine nuts so expensive?
Tuscan Garden Fresh Salad with Artichoke and Roasted Red Pepper
- 3 tablespoon Italian vinaigrette
- ½ head Romaine lettuce
- ½ qty Roasted red pepper
- 8 quartered Marinated artichoke hearts
- ⅓ qty Cucumber
- 1 slice Red onion
- ⅓ qty Beefsteak tomato
- 1 tablespoon Parmesan
- 1 tablespoon Pine nuts
- 1 tablespoon Butter
- 8 qty Croutons
- ¼ teaspoon Salt (or to taste)
- ¼ teaspoon Pepper (or to taste)
- In a small bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients. Set aside.
- On medium heat, toast pine nuts in 1 tablespoon of butter for 2-3 minutes.
- Wash lettuce and set it aside to drain in a colander.
- Wash remaining produce and cut into small salad sized portions.
- Assemble salad with all ingredients.
- Drizzle prepared dressing on top.
- Gently toss the salad and serve immediately.
- Wash hands and create a clean work area.
- Rinse fresh produce thoroughly.
- Do not use the same cutting board or utensils on cooked food or produce, that previously touched raw meat or seafood.
- Do not leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods.