Time to use up all of those extra salad ingredients you have on hand? This Everything but the Kitchen Sink Chopped Salad (with Homemade Croutons) recipe will help you do JUST that! Go ahead and chop up any remaining heads of lettuce you have on hand, add any extra tomatoes, cucumbers, and everything else! Don't forget to make these amazing homemade crushed croutons!
- Lettuce - Romaine lettuce and butter lettuce were used in this recipe.
- Red onion
- Buttermilk Ranch
Note: Refer to the recipe card below for exact quantities.
How to Make this Recipe
Step One: Prepare the Dressing
There are several ways to prepare homemade salad dressings:
1). Use a bowl to whisk or stir the ingredients together.
2). Put all of your ingredients in a mason jar with a lid, then give it a little shake.
3). Use a stick blender to blend the salad dressing ingredients together. This is helpful if the dressing includes a garlic clove or anchovies.
4). Use an oil and vinegar dispenser with your favorite extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar to drizzle on salads as needed.
Homemade salad dressings are easy to make if you keep some essential ingredients on hand. See our Top 10 Favorite Salad Dressing Recipes for the dressings we love the most.
Step Two: Prepare Homemade Croutons (optional)
Preparing homemade croutons is as easy as cutting up a loaf of french bread, mixing in some melted butter, topping it all with your favorite herbs and spices, then baking for 10-15 minutes in the oven. They really add such amazing flavor!
Step Three: Prepare Ingredients
Cut or tear up lettuce into small portions. Wash all lettuce and produce thoroughly, then set it aside to drain in a colander. While lettuce is draining, dice all remaining ingredients into small salad-sized portions.
Step Four: Assemble and Serve
Assemble the salad in layers with lettuce on the bottom, followed by fresh diced vegetables, and any additional cheeses, croutons, nuts, and/or seeds.
Add a small amount of dressing and give it a good toss. Taste and adjust seasonings as necessary. Serve immediately.
This post shows some of our kitchen essentials. Please visit our shop if you would like to see more of our favorites. These are Amazon affiliate links and we earn commission from qualifying purchases.
Store salad in an airtight container in the refrigerator without dressing for 2-3 days. If the salad is moist from being washed, place a paper towel on top of it to draw out the moisture.
Buy pre-washed and ready-to-eat lettuce to save time.
Have leftover ingredients?
- Extra butter lettuce can be used for this Butter Lettuce with Creamy Buttermilk Dressing Salad
In the mood for a similar dish?
Try these other salad recipes ideas:
More lunch recipes you will love:
Avocados are full of antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals. They are considered a healthy fat, they're good for your heart and gut, and they will help you stay full longer.
Refrigerating tomatoes will extend their shelf life, but could also decrease their flavor or change their texture. If you don't want your tomatoes to go bad, wait until they are fully ripe, refrigerate for a few days, then bring them back to room temperature before slicing.
Everything Chopped Salad
- 3 tablespoon Buttermilk ranch dressing
- 3 oz. Butter lettuce
- Red onion
- Salt (or to taste)
- Pepper (or to taste)
- In a small bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients. Set aside.
- Prepare this homemade crouton recipe.
- Wash lettuce and set it aside to drain in a colander.
- Wash remaining produce and cut into small salad sized portions.
- Assemble salad with all ingredients.
- Drizzle prepared dressing on top.
- Gently toss the salad and serve immediately.
- Wash hands and create a clean work area.
- Rinse fresh produce thoroughly.
- Do not use the same cutting board or utensils on cooked food or produce, that previously touched raw meat or seafood.
- Do not leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods.
Leave a Reply