Inspired by the famous restaurant in Beverly Hills, this Viral La Scala Chopped Salad Recipe has fresh ingredients and is jam-packed with flavor! The combination of chick peas, Genoa salami, Italian cheeses, and fresh veggies makes it a salad to remember. It's no wonder that it has been highly requested for years. If you plan to visit Beverly Hills, be sure to check it out!
The La Scala chopped salad originated from the renowned Beverly Hills restaurant. They have been serving this dish among others to famous celebrities for over 60 years. This recipe features a medley of fresh salad ingredients, including crisp iceberg lettuce, garbanzo beans, savory salami slices, mozzarella cheese, Parmesan, and thinly sliced red onions. Tossed together with a flavorful dressing, this salad offers a the perfect balance of textures and flavors.
Why we love this recipe:
- It's tasty - Delicious Italian meats & cheeses and protein-packed beans in every bite. Combined with the tangy homemade dressing, your tastebuds will be singing!
- It's healthy - A flavorful salad that you can enjoy for a nutritious meal prep.
- It's nostalgic - La Scala's famous restaurant recently celebrated its 60 year anniversary. Many people come back for this famous chopped salad time and time again.
Looking for more amazing salad recipes? You may also love our Caprese salad or this amazing Village Salad. These classics offer a similar blend of fresh ingredients and delicious dressings .
- Lettuce - Crisp iceberg adds a refreshing base for the salad.
- Garbanzo beans - Add a delightful texture and a bonus protein boost.
- Salami - Provides a savory and flavorful element.
- Mozzarella cheese - Adds richness to the salad. We prefer 100% whole milk mozzarella.
- Shaved Parmesan: Brings a distinct tangy flavor to the mix.
- Red onion: Adds a mild bite and a pop of color.
- Salt and pepper: Enhances the overall taste.
Note: Refer to the recipe card below for exact quantities.
How to Make the Viral La Scala Chopped Salad
Step One: Prepare the Dressing
In a large bowl, whisk together extra virgin olive oil, red wine vinegar, Dijon mustard, minced garlic, dried oregano, grated parmesan, and freshly ground black pepper until well combined.
Step Two: Prepare Ingredients
Next, add the shredded iceberg lettuce, drained garbanzo beans, thinly sliced salami, shredded mozzarella cheese, and thinly sliced red onion.
Step Four: Assemble and Serve
Gently toss the salad to ensure that all the ingredients are well coated with the dressing. Add the shaved parmesan to the top. Taste and adjust seasonings as necessary. Serve immediately.
- Lettuce - Romaine lettuce works well, or a combination of Iceberg and Romaine.
- Cheese - Experiment with different types of cheese such as provolone or grated pecorino Romano for added variety.
- Meats - Fresh out of salami? Try other Italian meats like pepperoni, mortadella, or capicola.
- Cuisine - Love the ingredients, but in the mood for Greek food instead? Try garbanzo beans in this Greek Village Salad instead.
- Add-ins - Have some extra tomatoes and cucumber on hand? Add them in for more nutrition. (See picture below).
This post shows some of our kitchen essentials. Please visit our shop if you would like to see more of our favorites. These are Amazon affiliate links and we earn commission from qualifying purchases.
The La Scala chopped salad is best enjoyed fresh. If you have any leftovers, store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1-2 days.
Note that the salad may become slightly wilted, so it's recommended to serve immediately.
Note: Refer to Top Tips below for more storage and reheating tips.
Finely chop all ingredients so that all flavors are present with each and every bite.
To save time, consider prepping the dressing and chopping the ingredients in advance, then assemble the salad just before serving.
For added convenience, consider pre-washed and pre-cut lettuce to simplify the preparation process.
Have leftover ingredients?
- Excess garbanzo beans can be used in this delicious Mediterranean Salad. They can also be used in hummus, stews, curries, and enjoyed as a delicious roasted snack.
- Make this Epic Italian Chopped Salad to use up your leftover salami.
In the mood for a similar dish?
Need something to pair this with?
- La Scala's Chopped Salad would pair well with this Bucatini Alla Carbonara with Prosciutto and Peas.
More lunch recipes you will love:
What are chickpeas?
Why are chopped salads so good?
Can I use canned chickpeas instead of dried chickpeas?
How to Make the Viral La Scala Chopped Salad
- 1 qty small head iceberg lettuce shredded
- 1 can garbanzo beans drained
- 35-40 slices salami thinly sliced
- 4 oz mozzarella cheese shredded
- ¾ - 1 cup parmesan cheese shaved
- ⅛ cup parmesan grated
- ¼ qty red onion thinly sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, whisk together extra virgin olive oil, red wine vinegar, Dijon mustard, minced garlic, dried oregano, grated parmesan, and freshly ground black pepper until well combined.
- Next, add the shredded iceberg lettuce, drained garbanzo beans, thinly sliced salami, shredded mozzarella cheese, and thinly sliced red onion.
- Gently toss the salad to ensure that all the ingredients are well coated with the dressing. Add the shaved parmesan to the top. Taste and adjust seasonings as necessary. Serve immediately.
- Create a clean work area.
- Wash hands after touching raw meat or seafood.
- Rinse fresh produce thoroughly.
- Do not use the same cutting board or utensils on cooked food or produce, that previously touched raw meat or seafood.
- Do not leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods.
- Never leave cooking food unattended.
- Use oils with a high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds.
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove.